Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Yes, it means 'light skinned boy' in Mexican slang. No, it's not a taco.
For more design lovlieness, check out Ilisu's blog
So, like every other music blog out there, I've thrashed out a Top 10 albums of 2005 list (as previously mentioned). The man above unfortunately didn't make the cut, but I still thought Guero was a good album, despite the likeness to Odelay in parts. What I don't understand is the way in which critics thought it was a 'return to form'? Does this mean Seachange was rubbish? Has Beck ever really had a creative rut, or did some critics turn on him because he stopped being the whacky guy with two turntables and a microphone, and beared his emotions to the public on an break-up album full of sombre, yet beautiful accoustic songs? You work it out.
Anyway, here's the Top 10 in order (if you want rhyme and reason then mosey along to the full article at Subter)
1. Sleater Kinney - The Woods
2. The New Pornographers - Twin Cinema
3. Low - The Great Destroyer
4. Isolee - We Are Monster
5. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
6. Common - Be
7. Bright Eyes - Digital Ash
8. Brendan Benson - The Alternative To Love
9. Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger
10. Vitalic - OK Cowboy
* Larry Bird, Tom Waits, Eli Wallach, Noam Chomsky and myself are going to go out drinking tonight to celebrate our shared birfday. I just hope Noam doesn't repeat his antics from last year (the bouncers certainly didn't appreciate his loud opinions on syntax and semantics, especially when he presented them to the hen's party across the room whilst stripping down to his Calvins...sigh. You can't take those linguistics professors anywhere....)